Amazon India has today announced the availability of Kindle Voyage, the seventh generation of Kindle. For those unaware, the Kindle Voyage is the thinnest and the most advanced Kindle till date, which offers higher resolution and higher contrast display as opposed to the previous Kindle models. It also comes with a new adaptive front light and re-imagined page turns.
The Wi-Fi only model of the Kindle Voyage is priced at RS 16,499 in India, while the 3G+ Wi-Fi model comes with a price tag of Rs 20,499. Both the variants are currently on sale on the Amazon India websites and are available offline as well.
“The stylishly designed Kindle Voyage was crafted to give readers the best possible reading experience,” said Rajiv Mehta, Country Manager, Kindle India. “They can download books from the selection of 3 million eBooks in the India Kindle Store, read for hours without eyestrain or glare, and even read in bright sunlight. With free 3G available on Kindle Voyage, users never have to hunt for or pay for a Wi-Fi hotspot. With a battery life that’s measured in weeks, it is the perfect reading companion.”
Earlier this week, India Kindle Store also announced support for local credit and debit cards, net banking and Amazon.in gift cards to purchase eBooks.
“We want to make it easier for our customers across India to read more and more, anytime and anywhere. The choice of devices and additional payment methods are all to enable and celebrate their passion for reading.” added Mehta.
Features of Kindle Voyage
· All-New Design—The Thinnest Kindle Ever
Kindle Voyage features an all-new design, with a flush glass front and a magnesium back. At just 7.6 mm thin and weighing less than 6.4 ounces, Kindle Voyage is the thinnest device by Amazon, which makes it easier to hold with one hand and read for hours.
· Next Generation Paperwhite Display
Kindle Voyage uses a brand new Paperwhite display, with the highest resolution, highest contrast, and highest brightness of any Kindle. With 300 pixels per inch, the new Paperwhite display delivers laser-quality text and images. The etching pattern on the glass also serves to match the feel of paper.
· Adaptive Front Light—Our Smartest Front Light
In addition to being our brightest front light ever, the new adaptive front light automatically adjusts the brightness of the display based on the surrounding light. And because not everyone has the same lighting preferences, the adaptive front light can be fine-tuned to your personal preference. Also, since the human eye adjusts to darkness over time, the light you need when you start reading in the dark will seem too bright 30 minutes later—the adaptive front light slowly lowers the display’s brightness over time to match the way the eye responds to darkness.
· PagePress—Reimagined Page Turns
Kindle Voyage introduces PagePress, a new way to turn pages. PagePress uses a custom-designed force sensor that sits directly under the bezel. You simply rest your thumb on the bezel and turn the page by lightly pressing. When you turn the page, Kindle Voyage delivers tactile feedback from a haptic actuator. The actuator delivers just enough vibration to let you know you turned the page, but is subtle enough that you won’t be distracted from your reading. You can personalize both the pressure level needed to trigger a page turn and the haptic feedback level.
· New Origami Cover
The new origami-style cover design is inspired by the best-selling Origami covers for Fire tablets, and provides a stand for both portrait and landscape positions. Origami covers attach magnetically so they are easy to take on and off, and automatically turn the Kindle Voyage on and off when readers open and close the cover.
· Free 3G
Kindle Voyage is available with free 3G, which means users never have to hunt for or pay for a Wi-Fi hotspot—simply download and read books anytime, anywhere, in over 100 countries around the world. Amazon pays for the 3G connection – the user pays no monthly fees and signs no annual contracts.
Customer-Favorite Kindle Features Include:
Kindle Voyage includes all of the features that have made the Kindle family the best-selling e-reader in the world for seven years including:
· Worry-Free Archive: Kindle books are automatically backed up in the cloud, so readers never need to worry about losing books and can re-download the books wirelessly anytime for free.
· Weeks of Battery Life: Kindle e-readers have battery life that is measured in weeks, not hours.
· No set up required: Kindle arrives pre-registered so customers can start reading immediately.
· Whispersync: The last page read is saved and synchronized with bookmarks and annotations across all devices and Kindle apps, so readers can always pick up where they left off.
· Smart Lookup: Full dictionary definitions are integrated with other reference information via X-Ray and Wikipedia.
· Time to Read: Readers will know how much time it will take to finish a chapter or a book based on their personalized reading speed.
· Kindle Page Flip: Readers can skim page-by-page, scan by chapter or jump to anywhere in their book all without losing their place.
· Vocabulary Builder: Words readers look up in the dictionary are compiled into an easy-to-access list. One can use these lists to quiz themselves with flashcards and instantly see words in context.